6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup (200 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (25 grams) granulated sugar 1 large egg 1/2 cup (118 ml) milk (though I use soya milk) 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract 1 pound (450 grams) strawberries halved
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) and butter a 9 inch cake tin.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl.
- In a larger bowl beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg, milk and vanilla until combined and add the dry mixture gradually. Mix until smooth.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and arrange the strawberries, cut side down as closely as possible in a single layer. Sprinkle some sugar onto the strawberries.
- Bake cake for 10 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 325F and bake until golden brown.
Recipe from Smitten Kitchen